Monday, August 19, 2013

Goodbye Jarvana

After five years, I've decided to take down Jarvana, the maven repository search engine. For a year and a half now, I have been unable to obtain new central maven repository data. Since up-to-date data is critical to application development, not being able to index new maven repository data essentially makes Jarvana obsolete. Although Jarvana is gone, I'm happy that Jarvana was able to helps many thousands of developers over the last five years. Jarvana was a great learning experience, since it represented my first serious experience with Lucene. Thank you to Doug Cutting and the rest of the Lucene developers for creating and maintaining such a great open-source project. You guys are awesome. Jarvana wouldn't have been possible without Lucene and several other Apache Software Foundation projects.

11 comments:

  1. Bad news really. Anyway, thanks a lot for that helpful tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Deron, for all you did for so long.
    The maven repository you provided made it so easy to research what we needed all in one place in our Mule POJO projects.
    We owe you a lot in time and knowledge :-)
    Best of luck in your new endeavors, and please let us know here if we thousands of devoted users can return the favor somehow !

    Mark Casagrande
    City of Tampa, FL IT Dept
    Tampa, FL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for this great project。I'm a Java developer in China, your Jarvana project help me a lot。

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad sad sad news... Thanks a lot for the hours you put on Jarvana, It helped me to be more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad too!! :(, I am Mexican developer and Jarvana has solved me and helped me a lot. For me it was the best java maven artifacts engine. Very really THANKS !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a pity. Jarvana helped me a lot during the past years - nevertheless thank you for having provided this outstanding tool!
    Hans-Ulrich Schmidt
    Munich,
    Germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sad news !
    This website have tremendously helped for our most important project of Java upgradation
    So sad that we won't see you again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pitty :(
    Jarvana was the best tool for searching artefacts!
    Anyway, thank you for such great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG you'r such an asshole for doing so -.- it's like "hey, today we killed just Java :P R.I.P".. i'm going for node.js now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where I can find artifact using classname? I'm sad :-(

    ReplyDelete